Sunday, June 28, 2009

LL Sexy Darcy

Yes. You heard me right. Ladies Love Sexy Darcy. Pride and Prejudice is one of my favorite books in part because of Fitzwilliam Darcy. He is surely a bit of a snob at the beginning of the book. But as anyone who has read the books or seen the movies knows he's not proud, he's discerning. He's a man of principal. He isn't simply a handsome rich dilettante like Binghley. He's not a playboy and a bounder like Wickham. He's an adult male. And adult males are often in short supply. My best friend Tim thinks Elizabeth Bennett was a bit of a gold digger because she didn't really like him until she saw his gorgeous estate Pemberley. Pure coincidence. She fell for him when he showed her his vulnerability at Lady Catherine's home when he admitted that he is not in the habit of conversing easily with people he doesn't already know. And then she liked him a bit more when she saw him with his beloved kid sister Georgianna. But sadly I think one of the reasons Elizabeth liked him is that he fulfills the female fantasy that inside that rude, insufferable, jackass that treats you like dirt beats the heart of a lovestruck young man who doesn't know how to show you how much he likes you. This is a dangerous thought. It's insanity like that, that convinces women to date men who never call and don't pay attention when we talk. For me it's more about the way that he loves her in spite of his own common sense. That he loves Elizabeth despite the impending embarrassment of being connected to her humiliating family. That he spent thousands of pounds and untold hours helping her family out of a jam. He made sure Lydia was married because her disgrace would distress his beloved. Darcy is a man. Darcy takes care of people. As a modern independent woman I don't need a man to pay my rent, or buy my food, but I do from time to time need someone to take on a task so big and overwhelming that it makes me want to take to my bed. Darcy would carry a sick dog a mile to the vet. Darcy would change all my light bulbs to energy efficient ones. Darcy could mop up 10 gallons of water and get a plumber to fix my toilet. Darcy is sexy because he is trapped in amber. He has been traditionally masculine for 200 years. For him the definition of manhood never changes. That's what we like about Darcy. Society changes but he stays the same.

No comments: