Thursday, August 27, 2009

What are the homeless reading?

I grew up for the most part in Iowa City, IA. And there is a pervasive urban myth that there are people with post-graduate degrees living under one of the bridges that separates the University of Iowa campus from downtown. These over-educated people who vefallen on hard times collect cans and bottles for the 5 cents deposit and live communally discussing Proust and quoting Richard Feynman to each other. And if you bring them a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store or some canned goods they will help you write papers or study for exams.
I never went under the bridge, although I do know people who claimed they did and that their excellent grades bore the proof of the legend. Something about going under a bridge to find people driven insane at the prospect of finishing their dissertation, frightened me. The whole carrying a rotisserie chicken under a bridge had a very Grimm's fairytale vibe. In my opinion Little Red Riding Hood was asking for it. The people who walk by my apartment on their way home from the donut shop are risking their lives. They would be fools to actually enter my lair, and ask me my opinion on whether Hemingway should be completely tossed aside, or whether he should be considered in the context of the period. So I will never know for sure just how brilliant those bridge dwellers may be. But I've been wondering what the homeless read lately. Every time I go the library there are dozens of ragged people reading books and magazines. They aren't just trying to stay cool or warm. They are actually reading. And it made me wonder what would I read if I never had to impress another person with my intellect? What if my life had taken such a harsh turn that I no longer had to slide reading time into working or family obligations? What if I could spend 12 hours a day surrounded by the totality of human knowledge and experience committed to the page? What thoughts would I want to have when I wasn't consumed with the need to make money? Well after several weeks of asking them what they're reading and picking up the tomes they leave lying around,the answer is...Stephen King and the Economist magazine. Apparently homeless people are liberal and enjoy pop fiction. They also read a massive amount of philosophy and history. Nietzsche is really big with the homeless. Which confirms my suspicion that majoring in philosophy will lead one down the path to indigence. So tell your children to study engineering. And the next time you see a homeless person reading something tell me what it was.

No comments: