Friday, December 19, 2008

Really?!?!?!

I was bullied onto facebook this week. I fought as hard as I could. But it was the same battle I lost with Friendster and Myspace. Once all social interaction moves to a social networking site I have two choices. (1)Cling to my principals but be lonely and bored. Or (2)Relent but be resentful and give off an air of superiority and bourgeois contempt. I usually choose option 2. So I signed up for facebook and was presented with a couple hundred profiles of people I went to high school with. Facebook suggested I might want to be friends with these people. I suggested to God that he should have smited those people twenty years ago when they were terrorizing me to the point that I seriously contemplated suicide. I have five friends from high school, because those were the five people I liked. Most everyone else was a douchebag. And I hardly think time will have improved them much. But what I find most disturbing is that so many of them had the nerve to reproduce. Some of those people had four plus kids.For a moment I felt slightly left out. Sort of like John Cusack's character in Grosse Pointe Blank, "They all have husbands and wives and children and houses and dogs, and, you know, they've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do. What am I gonna say? "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How've you been?" Or more to the point, "I'm not married. I don't have any kids. And I'd blow your head off is somebody paid me enough.How are you?" God! I fucking love that movie. But the question now becomes how awesome does my life have to be in six years when the 20th reunion rolls around, for me to be insulated against insecurity? I mean a couple published books and some pictures of me in bed with Keanu Reeves and a sitting United States Senator good? Or should I skip it like I skipped the 5 year and 10 year reunions? Because do I really have to revisit that hellmouth when high school is never really over. I realized today I'm still the girl who does some guy's homework just so he'll talk to her. I still do it. Some guy smiles at me and I'm 16 again. So why on earth would I subject myself to the people that made being sixteen shorthand for pain and alienation? Well there will probably be cake. I do like cake. And I am exponentially better looking than when I was a kid, whereas most of those bastards peaked at 19. I don't know I've got time to think about it. I'll just stay away from facebook as much as I can.

No comments: